- One 8lb beef roast
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 Tbs rosemary (for the marinade)
- 4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary (for the roasting pan)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Marinate a nice piece of beef overnight in red wine, olive oil, thyme, and rosemary.
- The next day, fire your oven until hot, and then let the heat fall to a low to moderate temperature, roughly 350-400ºF.
If you have fired your oven for a longer period (90 minutes or more), rake out the coals to allow the temperature to keep falling.
If you do not have enough retained heat in the oven, you can leave a small fire, or coals at the start of cooking.
- Place the roast on a bed of rosemary in a terracotta dish, and top it with some garlic cloves halves and a branch of rosemary.
- The roast will brown at the higher heat, then roast slowly as the oven temperature falls. It should take somewhere from 2 to 3 hours to cook.
When the roast just starts to drip its juices and it is brown on the outside, check the temperature with a meat thermometer.
Pull the roast from the oven when the inside temperature of the roast is 135° to 140°F.
Let the roast sit for at least 15 minutes before carving to serve.
Van Riebeeckshoff Mall
Tel: 021 913 0302
Tel: 021 913 0221
44 Gemini Street
Tel: 021 981 1372
Cell: 082 318 4992
Fax: 021 981 6775
Plot 11B, Stegmann Avenue
Tel: 011 393 2597
Fax: 011 393 2589
Elsa-Marie: 083 273 9951